Battle of Britain Monument Home THE BATTLE OF BRITAIN LONDON MONUMENT Battle of Britain London Monument
The Battle of Britain London Monument "Never in the field of human
conflict was so much owed
by so many to so few
Site of Battleof Britain London Monument Work in Progress London Monument Site Drawing of Battle of Britain London Monument
Battle of Britain London Monument Home    

The Airmen's Stories - F/O R G Wigg


Ronald George Wigg was born in Auckland on 20th October 1914 and worked for an insurance company after leaving school. He travelled to England in April 1938, applied for a short service commission in the RAF and was accepted.

Wigg began his initial training course at 8 E&RFTS Woodley on 25th July 1938. He was posted to 7 FTS Peterborough on 1st October, moving on 21st November to 8 FTS Montrose. He finished his training at 2 FTS Brize Norton and 6 ATS Warmwell.



On 4th August 1939 Wigg joined 65 Squadron at Hornchurch. Still with 65 Squadron in late May 1940, he took part in operations over Dunkirk.

On 12th August at Manston the squadron was lined up for take off, in vics of three, with engines running. Unable to hear, the pilots did not realise the airfield was being bombed. As they raced across the grass, tails up, bombs exploded amongst them.

Blast from one which burst near Wigg overcame the Spitfire's slipstream and stopped the propellor, leaving him in the middle of a smoke-swept field. He exited rapidly and went to shelter.

Wigg was posted away to 55 OTU Aston Down on 25th February 1941 as an instructor. On 12th November Wigg sailed from Liverpool, on his way to 73 OTU Aden, finally arriving there on 4th January 1942.

In mid-September 1942 Wigg was posted to the Middle East and joined No. 1 (SAAF) Squadron in the Western Desert on the 25th. He flew with the squadron throughout the Battle of El Alamein.

In late January 1943 Wigg went to HQ 206 Group Aboukir, to be a test pilot on Hurricanes and Spitfires. He remained there until late July 1945 when he was posted for return to the UK.

On 1st August Wigg transferred to the RNZAF. He sailed for New Zealand on 30th November 1945 and was released from the RNZAF on 14th April 1946 as a Squadron Leader.

He died at Kawakawa on 4th August 1976.


Battle of Britain Monument