Battle of Britain Monument Home THE BATTLE OF BRITAIN LONDON MONUMENT Battle of Britain London Monument
The Battle of Britain London Monument "Never in the field of human
conflict was so much owed
by so many to so few
Site of Battleof Britain London Monument Work in Progress London Monument Site Drawing of Battle of Britain London Monument
Battle of Britain London Monument Home    

The Airmen's Stories - Sgt. A Seredyn


Antoni Seredyn was born in Loje, Kozienice, Poland on 10th April 1920. He enlisted in the Polish Air Force and was posted to the 4th Air Regiment for basic training. After advanced training he was posted to the 6th Air Regiment in Lviv.

He served in 161 Fighter Squadron of the Polish Air Force and after supporting the Lodz Army group in the September 1939 campaign he was evacuated to Romania.



Above images courtesy of Jaroslaw Gwardys via Joel Diggle.


In January 1940 he reached France but elected to continue to England where he was enlisted in the RAFVR at RAF Eastchurch on 27th February 1940. He moved to the Polish Wing at 3 School of Technical Training Blackpool on 1st June 1940, to await a posting.

This came on 26th August, with a move to the Polish Depot. Whilst there he developed kidney trouble, which delayed his posting. On 12th September Seredyn went to 15 EFTS Redhill, for testing and grading. He arrived at 5 OTU Aston Down on 25th September, converted to Hurricanes and joined 32 Squadron at Acklington on 12th October.

Later in the year Seredyn's kidney trouble returned and after three months in hospital he went on a long convalescence.

On 2nd July 1941 he joined 13 Group Flight at Turnhouse. Seredyn was later posted to 285 Squadron at Woodvale, on anti-aircraft co-operation duties.

Promoted to Warrant Officer on 1st September 1943, he joined 286 Squadron later in the month. On 9th May 1944 Seredyn was posted to 61 OTU to prepare for a return to operations.

He converted to Mustangs at 3 TEU and joined 315 Squadron at Brenzett, Sussex on 24th September. The long-range Mustangs were moved north to Peterhead to escort bombers to Norway.

Seredyn was awarded the KW (gazetted 17th August 1945). He left the squadron on 29th November 1945 and was released from the Polish Air Force on 25th May 1947 as a Warrant Officer.

He married an English lady and settled in England, initially in Barnsley and then Blackpool, where he drove tourist buses.

He died on 8th June 1998 in Blackpool.


Battle of Britain Monument