Battle of Britain Monument Home THE BATTLE OF BRITAIN LONDON MONUMENT Battle of Britain London Monument
The Battle of Britain London Monument "Never in the field of human
conflict was so much owed
by so many to so few
Site of Battleof Britain London Monument Work in Progress London Monument Site Drawing of Battle of Britain London Monument
Battle of Britain London Monument Home    

The Airmen's Stories - Sgt. K Dawick


Kenneth Dawick was born in Palmerston North, New Zealand on 21st August 1916. He worked as a printer from 1933 until he joined the RNZAF. In 1938 he learned to fly privately at the Middle Districts Aero Club and early in 1939 he joined the Civil Reserve of Pilots.

He was called for full-time service in November 1939 and reported to the Ground Training School at Weraroa on 18th December.



Dawick did his elementary flying at No. 1 FTS Taieri, moved to No. 1 FTS Wigram in March 1940 and after completing the course sailed for the UK in the RMS Rangitane in July.

After a short spell at No. 1 RAF Depot Uxbridge, Dawick was posted to 6 OTU Sutton Bridge on 11th September for conversion to Hurricanes. He joined 111 Squadron at Drem on the 30th.

He went to 605 Squadron at Croydon on 23rd December 1940, remaining with it until 19th August 1941 when he was posted to 55 OTU Usworth as an instructor. In October Dawick was sent overseas to 73 OTU Aden, where he arrived on 4th January 1942.

Commissioned in February, he instructed until the OTU was disbanded in October. Dawick then went to the Middle East and joined 238 Squadron at Burg-el-Arab, flying in support of the Eighth Army.

Dawick sailed for New Zealand on 19th November 1943. He went on a CFS course on Harvards at Tauranga, after which he was posted to 2 SFTS Woodbourne. He moved to No. 1 SFTS Wigram in October 1944 and was released from the RNZAF on 14th November 1945.

After trying floriculture, Dawick went on to the nursing staff at the Kimberley Hospital, Levin, moving in later years on to administrative duties.

He retired in December 1977.

Dawick died on 22nd March 2005.

Battle of Britain Monument