Battle of Britain Monument Home THE BATTLE OF BRITAIN LONDON MONUMENT Battle of Britain London Monument
The Battle of Britain London Monument "Never in the field of human
conflict was so much owed
by so many to so few
Site of Battleof Britain London Monument Work in Progress London Monument Site Drawing of Battle of Britain London Monument
Battle of Britain London Monument Home    

The Airmen's Stories - F/Lt. R H Scott

Ronald Hamilton Scott was born in Croydon on 15th January 1910 and attended Stowe School from 1924 to 1928.

He learned to fly at his own expense and was awarded Class A licence 3949 on 16th September 1931.

His logbook shows that he started training with 604 Squadron Auxiliary Air Force in October 1935, presumably as an Airman, this culminated in his being commissioned into the General Duties Branch of the Auxiliary Air Force on 10th April 1937.

He remained with 604 Squadron at Hendon and his licence was reissued on 8th May 1937.


Above: Scott with a Hawker Demon.


He was called to full-time service on 24th August 1939 and served with the squadron throughout the Battle of Britain.


Above: he was a keen motorcyclist.



Above: with F/Lt. John Cunningham.


He attended No. 9 Course at No. 1 Blind Approach School Watchfield from 20th December 1940 to 4th January 1941.

He was then posted away from 604 Squadron to become a Flight Controller specialising in close control by radar and commanded RAF Exminster and RAF Sopley. Afterwards he joined the staff of Fighter Command HQ and, on promotion to Squadron Leader, became one of three UK Instructor/Advisers on the use of radar controlled night-fighters.

In 1942 he was seconded to the Middle East for similar duties. When Rommel was advancing on Cairo in June 1942 Scott agreed to postpone his return to the UK, was promoted to Wing Commander and posted to command the Heliopolis Fighter Sector.

After the crisis passed he started a Controllers Training School to which Air Force, Navy and Army officers came from as far off as India, Aden and Algiers, and afterwards joined the staff at Air HQ Egypt.

Later he was transferred to the North Africa command and took over first the Palermo sub-sector and then the main sector based at Catania.



In 1944 he was given command of the largest Fighter/Coastal Wing in the Mediterranean Allied Coastal Air Forces and, after promotion to Group Captain, took it to NW Italy where it operated day-fighter, night-fighter and coastal squadrons.

He chaired the Joint Service Port Defence Committee for the port of Leghorn during the final build up for the American Fifth Army.

For two months before returning to the UK he was Group Captain Operations in Mediterranean Allied Coastal Forces (MACAF) in Naples and, on returning home, went to Fighter Command HQ where his final post was Senior Controller in charge of the famous underground operations room.

He was released from active service on 12th December 1945 with the rank of Group Captain.

Before the outbreak of war Scott had worked for Robinson & Cleaver, linen manufacturers, and he now returned to them in a senior position in Belfast.

While there he was commissioned in the General Duties Branch of the Royal Auxiliary Air Force as Wing Commander (effective 16th December 1948) and raised and was given command of No 3502 (Ulster) Fighter Control Unit (motto 'The wise are awake ').

He relinquished command of 3502 on 3rd December 1951 and retired from the RAuxAF on 16th December 1958.

During his wartime service Scott was Mentioned in Despatches on 8th June 1944 and 14th June 1945.

Scott died on 20th April 1977.


Above: a portrait made by his wife, Inez.

The majority of data and all images courtesy of Christopher Scott (son).




Ronald Scott's wartime photograph album contained many extremely interesting but uncaptioned and undated images, some of which are reproduced below.

If visitors to the site can identify any of the personnel or locations then please get in touch using the 'Contact Us' button on the Home Page.









Battle of Britain Monument